Wednesday, November 7, 2012

What I carry

Since my earliest memories of the image of my grandpa, he had been bald. There was nothing strange about it, it was my cute adorable bald grandfather. Like a fact of life. The sky is blue, grass is green, my grandpa was bald. I remember once asking my mom when grandpa had began balding, she responded with "He's been bald since I've known him." 

I asked my grandma something similar, she also said she did not remember a time with him with a head full of hair. My grandparents were adorable. Growing up, I'm surrounded by a lot of families that are separated or divorced.  However they stayed together for something like 56 years. My grandparents were the old couples you see that held hands when they walked down the street together. They never actually held hands when they were younger though. They only started holding hands so they could keep up with each others pace. Not as romantic, but still cute. I wish it didn't have to be like it was, but they did leave pretty closely together as well. My grandpa left first and my grandma followed shortly after. 

After my grandma passed away, we had left her room and possessions intact for the longest time. One of the first items I had looked into when we finally found the heart to go through her things was her wallet. Inside were some coins, wads of cash (I'm not kidding, my grandma likes to roll deep), and a photograph.

I'm not sure where it was taken, my guess is Shanghai. I can't think of another place that would have a greek styled doric order building (I could be wrong, its been a while since I studied art history) in that era. Standing beside it was a young man. His features are kind of difficult to make out and would have been hard to recognize since he looks very different. There stood my bald grandfather. Dark hair and a little more than what I am accustomed to, but there he is. Bald. Fact of life. 

I carry the photo in my possession now. I actually had forgotten it was in my wallet until the other day when I was cleaning it out. How I can forget something so important, I don't know. I think if I were to ever be robbed, they can take the damn wallet and my nonexistent money, but unless you can find me a picture of my grandpa with a head full of hair, this photograph is the closest I'll ever get.





1 comment:

  1. Your Tumblr reminds me of pinterest. It looks good! Keep it up the hard work!

    ReplyDelete