Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Portobello

My friend Winnie made an annoucement that she was making portabello mushroom burgers and zucchini sticks and had an open invitation for anybody that was interested to join her for lunch. Luckily for me I finished work right at the stroke of noon so I jumped at the opportunity. I get to have an afternoon with Winnie and I get lunch made for me. Does it get any better than that?

It does, the weather has been absolutely gorgeous in Vancouver this weekend. The heat has really picked up but after what felt like a full year of winter and gray rainy days I welcome it with open arms. I arrive at Winnie's house, and it was nice to step into her cool home and out of the warm heat. Now that I think about it, I wonder if she had air conditioning on because the temperature was significantly cooler than outside.

When it comes to cooking, Winnie is so creative and innovative. Well, innovative to me anyways, because she is constantly whipping up different recipes and different dishes. Often its things I've never even fathomed making myself. Today was no exception.

 I'm currently on a diet at the moment (which might explain the halt in food posts) where I'm cutting down on my carb intake. I mentioned that to her and just told her I just won't have the burger bun but I'll eat all the insides. To my surprise, she had modified her burgers and made lettuce wraps instead and made half her zucchini sticks breaded.  She really didn't need to do that but it was so thoughtful that she did! Diets suck hard but supportive friends really make it feel better! For those that go "bah! screw diet! Just eat what you want!" I want to say go to hell, except I probably was one of those people before too.

When I heard mushroom burgers I imagined a steak patty with a mushroom on top, turns out there was no patty but a vegetarian burger. Ugh. What the hell is that right? I was wrong, it was so good. I didn't think a bunch of vegetables trying to call themselves a burger would be so successful.

Our lettuce burgers consisted of a giant organic portabello mushroom topped with tomatoes, onions, red peppers, cheese and mayonnaise. The zucchini sticks was served up with a side of home made taziki sauce. It was delicious. It was light, healthy and surprisingly very filling. I'm always one that prefers my meat and wouldn't even consider the vegetarian options.. so you can take my word when I say its good.

1 comment:

  1. jUST FOUND YOUR BLOG, AND JUST HAD TO SAY COOKED THIS TONIGHT AND IT WAS FABULOUS!! XX tHANKYOU Love for you to check out my blog xx

    ReplyDelete